Exploring Best Schools in Malta: Costs, Options, and Considerations for Parents
From school fees and extracurricular activities to school best English-speaking schools in Malta. Choosing the right school for your young ones can be a challenge.
Malta offers a comprehensive education system that includes four levels:
- Kindergarten: Age 3-5
- Primary School: Age 5-11
- Secondary School (Middle School): Age 11-16
- Secondary School (High School): Age 16-18
Education in Malta is compulsory for children between the ages of 5 and 16, and students are assessed through both formative and summative assessments.
Malta also has a vocational education and training (VET) system that provides practical training and certification for students who want to pursue trades.
For international families, most schools in Malta use English as the primary language of instruction, which makes it easier for non-native speakers to adjust to the education system.
Top-rated English-speaking schools in Malta ⭐️
- St. Aloysius' College: A Jesuit school for boys aged 4-18 that offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum.
- San Andrea School: A private school offering the IB curriculum for children aged 3-18.
- Verdala International School: A private, international school offering the IB curriculum for children aged 3-18.
- St. Catherine's High School: A Catholic school for girls aged 11-18.
- International School of Malta: An independent international school offering a British education for children aged 3-18.
These schools are highly regarded for their academic standards and achievements and provide a challenging and comprehensive education.
Birkirkara, Pembroke, and L-Imselliet are popular cities in Malta with some of these schools - we recommend checking out Pembroke.
School fees 📚
Public schools in Malta are free for all students, regardless of their nationality or residency status. However, parents may still need to pay for expenses such as textbooks, uniforms, and school supplies.
Fees for private schools in Malta vary depending on the school and the level of education. The cost of tuition fees can range from a few thousand to several thousand euros per year.
Extracurricular activities at schools in Malta ⚽️
Schools in Malta offer a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports, music, drama, and clubs.
Some schools may also offer field trips, community service opportunities, and cultural events.
Are there schools in Malta that offer bilingual programs? 🇬🇧
- Verdala International School: Offers a bilingual program in English and French for students aged 3-18.
- The Archbishop's Seminary Secondary School: Offers a bilingual program in English and Maltese for students aged 11-16.
- San Anton School: Offers a bilingual program in English and Italian for students aged 3-18.
- St. Martin's College: Offers a bilingual program in English and Maltese for students aged 3-18.
- Għajnsielem Primary School: Offers a bilingual program in English and Maltese for primary school students.
- De La Salle College: Offers a bilingual program in English and Maltese for students aged 11-18.
As always, feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!